Choosing the right camera can be confusing with all the options today’s cameras have!
In this two-part blog series, let me help you find the right camera for you or that someone special this holiday season!
7 questions to help you choose the right camera.
• What type of photography do you like? (portraits, landscapes, macro, sports) That determines what kind and size of lens and what features you will need.
• What type of conditions will you be photographing in? (indoors, outdoors, low light, bright light) do you need weather proofing on your camera?
• Do you think you will stay in auto mode or do you want to learn to take the camera off of program mode? Many cameras come with scene modes which make it easier to adapt to certain lighting situations. If you really want to learn photography, get a camera that will offer you complete manual mode, shutter priority mode and aperture priority if you need it.
• How knowledgeable are you about photography? Is this your first camera? Do you think that you will be taking classes to really learn the craft?
• Do you know what features you are you looking for? (zoom, image stabilization, large display etc). There are so many options available now including Wi-Fi for cameras, scroll through screen displays, and optional lens attachments.
• How important is the size of the camera to you? Are you willing to carry around 20 pounds of gear? See my post on mirrorless cameras to give you an excellent lightweight camera option.
• How much money do you want to spend? This is always a difficult question. Unfortunately to get quality product, you will need to spend some money.
Please contact us for information on what camera to buy. We assist our clients every day with camera purchasing decisions.
All of this information is important when you’re looking to buy a camera, but the camera companies would make you think that mega pixels and the magnification of your lens zoom are the only important issues when buying a camera. This is not necessarily true. See next week’s post for the conclusion…
Latest posts by Holly Higbee-Jansen (see all)
- Have You Seen the New Mirrorless Cameras? - September 28, 2016
- Aurora Hunting in the Wilds of Iceland - September 7, 2016
- The Importance of Editing Your Photographic Images - March 27, 2016